SIAL CANADA UNVEILS THE 17 WINNERS OF THE OLIVE D’OR 2016 CONTEST
Montreal, April 13th, 2016 – It’s today, on the occasion of the opening of the show on April 13th at 10 am, that the 12 winners and 5 favourites from the Olive d’Or 2016 contest, the biggest international extra-virgin olive oil contest in Canada, will be revealed.
After the jury deliberations on April 11th and 12th of last year, the 12 best extra virgin olive oils submitted by producers from around the world were selected to be named the golden, silver or bronze drop in their respective categories. Given the ever-increasing quality of the oils each year, 5 favourites were also selected by the jury.
Roughly 100 oils from 15 countries were signed up to the contest this year, which provides proof of the unmitigated success of this major international contest.
The Members of the 2016 International Jury:
- Christine Cheylan, Jury President, France
- Maria Grazia, Certified Extra-Virgin Olive-Oil Taster
- Eric Gonzalez, Chef at L'Atelier Montreal de Joël Robuchon, Casino de Montréal
- Claudia M. Pharand, President and Co-founder of Distributions Olive & Olives Inc.
- Denise Langevin, CEO Agroindustrial Nuevos Campos LTDA, Chili
- Helena Lepori, Olive oil taster, consultant
Each olive oil was blind-tasted by a jury made up of olive-oil and gastronomical experts, in accordance with the standards set out by the International Olive Council.
Organized as part of SIAL Canada, the Olive d’Or contest aims to continue to improve the quality of the extra-virgin olive oils available on the North American market and to allow the show’s visitors to discover exceptional products.